What is SUJAC?
“The mission of the Student Union of John Abbott College (SUJAC) is to provide the student body with committed student representation to promote and protect student rights; to oversee the allocation of student funds; and to offer the opportunity for participation in student clubs and activities to enhance student development and potential for success and community life.”
–SUJAC Mission Statement
SUJAC is comprised of all students registered in John Abbott College. This union is maintained by 6 students (aka: SUJAC Executives) elected by a Student Congress (see here) at the end of each academic year. The roles of each executive is as follows:
- The President acts as the spokesperson for SUJAC and is responsible for its overall operation, for delegating undefined responsibilities, and for coordinating SUJAC related activities.
- The VP Internal is responsible for maintaining communications and relations of all internal student student organizations (i.e. clubs, committees, and Congress), is responsible for all communications with and mobilizations of the Student Body, replacing the SUJAC President when unavailable to fulfill their duties, acts as the Chief Returning Officer for all SUJAC elections, and is responsible to chair the first Congress meeting of each academic year.
- The VP Academic is responsible for academic matters, is responsible for academic representation within departments, and is responsible for handling Academic Complaints and Grade Reviews.
- The VP Finance is responsible for the preparation and orderly administration of SUJAC’s finances, is responsible for providing a financial statement of SUJAC’s finances twice per semester, and is the SUJAC representative as Chairperson of the Student Activity Committee (SAC).
- The VP External is responsible for establishing and maintaining relations with organizations external to the College, and is responsible for active participation in the Confederation of Anglophone CEGEPs (COAC).
- The VP Communications is responsible for managing social media accounts and online presence for SUJAC, is responsible in maintaining & protecting SUJAC’s brand & identity, is responsible in creating advertising materials for SUJAC, and is the representative on the Communications Student Advisory Committee (CSAC).
Executives are expected to maintain SUJAC as a whole and perform their duties and mandates, and to uphold the students rights and interests.
Becoming an Executive
To become an Executive, you must:
Note that if a candidate runs unopposed, they may be acclaimed to the position, omitting them from the rest of the election and automatically giving them the position.